Take home some of DFW’s best smoked briskets, local beers in this bargain-priced fundraiser benefiting out-of-work bartenders, servers
It’s a win-win-win-win for you, out-of-work DFW bartenders, and area pitmasters and brewmasters this weekend in a beer-and-BBQ fundraiser that’s equal parts delicious, affordable and helpful.
Called The Great Texas Bar-B-Que Pickup, seven area pitmasters and more than a dozen beer breweries are teaming up in a one-day fundraiser for the restaurant industry that will be selling big brisket family dinners and beers to-go, with all the profits funding $500 grants to needy out-of-work bartenders.
The premise is simple. You purchase a $50 to-go dinner that includes two pounds of sliced prime brisket, garlic mashed potatoes, green beens and a loaf of bread, enough to serve four (you have to order it here today). A volunteer staff will slice then package everything up for you to pick up Monday, April 27, at one of the participating brewery locations (you choose the location). The brisket will already be sliced and vacuum packed, ready for reheating (or freezing) at home. Though you can’t choose whose brisket you receive, event publicist Ryan Childers says each of the 250 briskets was smoked by one of the participating pitmasters:
- Kenneth Cunningham and Justin Belter from Hickory Heat BBQ
Bryan McLarty from 407BBQ
Chad Sessions from Smoke Sessions Barbecue
Brandon Hurtado from Hurtado Barbecue
Leo Morales from Barrel & Bones Craft Bar and Smokehouse
Mike Sharp from Ferris Wheelers Backyard & BBQ
Vaqueros Texas Bar-B-Q
Pick-up breweries participating include
- 3 Nations Brewing: 1033 E Vandergriff Dr, Carrollton, TX 75006
- Barrel & Bones: 2801 Plano Pkwy Suite #140, The Colony, TX 75056
- Bitter Sisters Brewing: 15103 Surveyor Blvd, Addison, TX 75001
- Celestial BeerWorks: 2530 Butler St, Dallas, TX 75235
- Deep Ellum Distillery: 2880 Clover St, Dallas, TX 75226
- Division Brewing: 506 East Main St, Arlington, TX 76010
- Hemisphere Brewing: 2015 Kristy Ln, Rockwall, TX 75032
- Oak Highlands Brewery: 10484 Brockwood Rd, Dallas, TX 75238
- Odd Muse Brewing: 4488 Spring Valley Rd, Farmers Branch, TX 75244
- On Rotation: 7328 Gaston Ave #110, Dallas, TX 75214
- Panther Island Brewing: 501 N Main St, Fort Worth, TX 76164
- Pegasus City: 2222 Vantage St, Dallas, TX 75207
- The Bearded Monk: 122 E McKinney St, Denton, TX 76201
- Turning Point: 1307 Brown Trail, Bedford, TX 76022
You can help one of three ways: buy a meal for your family; donate a meal that organizers will send to a nurse, doctor or worker on the front line; or make a monetary donation to the cause. The only money not going to the grants is the costs the meat for the briskets.
The Great Texas BAR B Que Pick Up is the brainchild of Leo Morales (Barrel and Bones Craft Bar & Smokehouse), Bryan Townsend (Trigger’s Toys) and Brian McCullough (Specs) and all the pitmasters, brewers and helpers are donating their time and services.
Out-of-work bartenders or unemployed service industry workers who need financial assistance can apply for one of the grants by visiting the event page (link) for instructions. Grant recipients will be selected prior to April 29 and receive their grants on April 30.